Coming to Lithuania
For EU citizens
Standard EU procedures applicable for EU citizens who aim to live and work in Lithuania:
- To stay in Lithuania for up to 90 days, you simply need your ID card or passport.
- If you want to stay longer (up to a maximum of 5 years), you will need:
For Non-EU citizens
If you are a non-EU citizen you’ll need to go through 3 steps before you start working:
1. Get a Schengen Visa (C)
A Schengen Visa allows you stay in Lithuania for a total period of 90 days. These days need to be utilised within a 180-day period. A Schengen visa is relatively easy and quick to get.
More information on the application procedure can be found here:
2. Get an EU Blue Card
What is an EU Blue Card?
- A residence and work permit, that’s specifically designed for highly-skilled non-EU citizens.
- It will be valid for up to 3 years and it can be extended for up to 3 years also.
- You will have a right to bring family members.
- You will get eligibility for permanent residence after 5 years.
More information on the EU Blue card and the application procedure can be found here:
3. Formalise an EU Blue Card
When you receive confirmation from the Migration Department that your Blue Card application has been successful, you will then need to formalise your Blue card. To apply for formalisation you will need:
- A completed application form.
- A passport (this should be valid for at least 3 months longer than the length of the Residence Permit).
- A Schengen visa (C) or a National visa (D) unless a visa-free regime is applicable. If you submit documents to a dipmomatic mission, upon receipt of confirmation of Blue Card, you will get a National visa (D) to complete the process.
You will need to submit the necessary documents to the Migration department. The application process will then take from 5 days (fast track) to 10 days (standard). A standard application costs 28 € and a fast track application costs 56 € .
For Non-EU start-up owners
If you are a non-EU citizen and you are planning to establish a startup in Lithuania, there is a fast track program specifically designed for you. For more information, please follow this link: